Thursday, April 5, 2007

nine million children would vote if they could

if you haven't heard already, there is a ten year-old running for President of the United States. Ok, so not really but check out the website anyway. The Children's Defense Fund (CDF) has started this campaign to increase awareness about the nine million children in the U.S. without health insurance and to encourage people to contact Congress about the All Healthy Children Act (H.R. 1688) which would insure children and pregnant women.

i'm all about creative ways to get people's attention and respect the CDF but since I just got back from facilitating a training about positive youth development, i'm a little annoyed by the tokenism. That didn't stop me from signing the petition though... and not just because my mom's maiden name is Flynn. (errr... can we think of a new name for that besides maiden? her pre-marriage name? her original name? her natural name? any suggestions out there?)

random aside: i had a bumper sticker at one point that I bought at a CDF conference (about 8 years ago) that said something like "I vote because kid's can't" -- i need to find that again.
 
Who links to me?