Tuesday, April 3, 2007

mexico lindo

so, i'm a tease, aren't i? five minutes ago i posted that my blog entries were going to decrease then i turned around and posted another. just trying to keep you on your toes.

i wanna live in mexico again. our neighbors to the south are becoming more progressive as the U.S. is becoming regressive recessive more conservative with some of its social policies. Not only did Mexico City pass a civil union law in November but they are likely to legalize abortion soon. Though
he country's antiabortion activists pushed back last week by introducing a bill that would charge women who have illegal abortions with a one-to-three-year prison sentence -- already they face a sentence of six months to a year. (There had better be a clause in the bill for an increase in prison funding, though -- conservative estimates project that 110,000 or so women each year have illegal abortions in the country.) (read more)
I like the parenthetical comment. I couldn't have said it better.

Mexico has impressed me when I was there in 2002, 2003 and 2004. I attended the Pride March in 2002 and 2004 and also in 2004 I attended a convention for the 10th anniversary of the Catholics for Choice group. I also had the opportunity to attend HIV prevention conferences and other activist events with CETLALIC, the school I attended and volunteered with. None of the people I met, got to know and talked with could have ever imagined that such laws would have been passed in their lifetime... they hoped and hoped and hoped though. I'm so happy for Mexico... and my friends there.

No comments:

 
Who links to me?