Thursday, May 17, 2007

this. american. life.

Believe it or not, my first opportunity to write in a long time has come on an unexpected day off. i would be working right now, but can't due to some city bureaucratic bullshit, which is a mixed blessing. Anyway, i'm taking time this morning to listen to this week's podcast of This American Life. The episode originally aired in 2002 and is called '81 Words' and explores "how and why the American Psychiatric Association decided in 1973 that homosexuality was not a disease". 1973 was not all that long ago. Listen to it if you have a chance, it's great, and contains the kind of activism I wish we had going on today. It also gives me hope that other kinds of needed changes can happen within my lifetime.

oh, and to get the episode for free, you have to download it this week.

3 comments:

liz said...

i *knew* you were gonna talk about this. i think that woman we went to hear in that library that one time (oh my lord is my memory horrible or is it just HORRIBLE) is name checked about halfway through the piece.

i listened to this monday night and it was too late to call you or else i would have. so instead i forgot to tell you about it. but how great cos i knew you'd listen eventually anyway.

liz said...

I forgot to call you when I heard this! I meant to but you know my memory.

Correct me if I'm wrong (which I might be) but remember when we went to that library reading from one of the women from The Mattachine Society, is she namechecked in the middle of this piece?

jane said...

yeah i was totally thinking about that lecture we went to while i was listening to it. Barbara Gittings?

 
Who links to me?