Sunday, March 25, 2007

ira glass is my hero

i've spent the last couple of days with my nieces, ages 5, 3.5, 2 and 6 weeks. This American Life's television show byline "Funny. Dramatic. Surprising. True." describes my weekend with them perfectly. I can't wait until they're old enough to appreciate 'This American Life', good thing I have quite a collection of the radio episodes saved on my computer... you know, for prosperity.

I was very sad when I first heard that Showtime was doing a TAL teevee show. I was sad that Ira was moving from my hometown of Chicago to New York and I was fearful that my favorite radio show would go away. He did move but he is insisting the radio show isn't going anywhere... and I believe him because Ira Glass is a man that can be trusted.

I watched the TAL episode on OnDemand prior to the 22nd. This made the 22nd anti-climatic - oh and one of the stories was a story they did on the radio show so i knew the ending, but that was ok. Rumor has it that you can watch the episode on their website (click on ira above). I'm happy with it. Ok, I'm not going to lie, I could very well be addicted to it'. It has a dreamy quality, the same wit and it really works. It works a lot better than I thought it could. I have another confession: we got cable in my house mostly so we could watch TAL... is that so wrong? I think there just might be something subliminal in the music they use in both the radio and teevee versions - you know, the type to make you addicted? Because I'm a little worried that my TAL addiction is unhealthy... though i suppose that there are unhealthier addictions so i'll stick with this one. And I don't believe it's interfering with my daily functioning.... yet.

i will say though that 48 hrs. with my nieces is interfering with my functioning... it was a fantastic weekend full of lots of playing, playing, playing but i am exhausted exhausted exhausted. No wonder kids (and their adults!) need naps!!

2 comments:

r.t.humphrey said...

i got to see the show at the chicago theater a couple of weeks ago and all my fears were dashed. i think i may love TAL even more now that i did before...

liz said...

I watched the first episode online last night and I have to agree. They did a superb job with the show's translation to television. The way it's filmed shows as much visual wit as they have always had on the radio show and I couldn't agree more about the exceptional music choices throughout the show. When they ended with a Honeycut song on the first episode I thought that was completely perfect.

I'm going to have to subscribe to Showtime now aren't I? :-/

 
Who links to me?